Former Library of Alexandria Chief Librarian interviewed by national media during recent Egypt crisis.
Being a resource for news analysis in relation to Egypt came about because of my recent affiliation with the Library of Alexandria where I served as the Chief Librarian for the past 6 years (2004-2010).
During my tenure there, I acted as the spokesperson for the library on the national and international levels. As such, I was interviewed by media outlets around the world from BBC, NY Times, CNN, Discovery and History channels to French, Spanish, Argentinean, Chinese, and many other TV stations.
Usually media people reach out to the individuals they know most and that how some of the national media contacted me. Being one of the few Egyptians at Illinois State University, local media reached me on the second day of the revolution, also, my association with professional organizations, with their knowledge as a seasoned professional with roots in Egypt, facilitated the contact.
- Pantagraph Articles:
- Welander, Patti. “Egyptian-Born ISU Library Dean Monitoring Crisis.” The Pantagraph 28 Jan. 2011: A1. Print/Online
- Welander, Patti. “Egyptian Native in B-N Keeping Eye on Uprising.” The Pantagraph 29 Jan. 2011: A1 + A12. Print/Online
- Hyde, Mattie, Michael, Maggie. Associated Press. “Looters Rip Heads Off Two Mummies at Museum.” The Pantagraph 30 Jan. 2011: A7. Print/Online
- Guetersloh, M.K.. “Egyptian-Born ISU Dean: Mubarak is ‘Stubborn’.” The Pantagraph 10 Feb. 2011: A1 Print/Online
- Guetersloh, M.K.. “Egypt Native Fears What Comes Next.” The Pantagraph 11 Jan. 2011:A1 + A10. Print/Online
- Guetersloh, M.K.. “ISU Student Eyes Nation’s Joy From Afar.” The Pantagraph 12 Feb. 2011: A8. Print/Online
- Wall Street Journal:
- Wise, Michael Z. “A Symbol for the New Egypt.” Wall Street Journal 8 Jan. 2011
- Other Print/Online Articles:
- Kniffel, Lenorad “Egypt Pulls Internet Plug to Silence Dissent” American Libraries Magazine Online. 28 Jan. 2011
- “Statement from Ismail Seragenldin, Director of the Library of Alexandria, Egypt.” 29 Jan. 2011. International Federation of Library Associations Online.
- “Egyptians Find Their Power in Access to Information” American Libraries Magazine Online. 16 Feb. 2011
- Radio Interviews:
- “Egyptian Native at ISU: They’ve Taken Abuse for 30 Years” Interviewed by Eric Stock. 31 Jan. 2011.
- Interviewed by Susan Almeida
- 29 Jan. 2011
- 12 Feb. 2011
- “Egypt Protest” Interviewed by Charlie Schlenker. 28 Jan. 2011.
- WMBD News 28 Jan. 2011